See the difference fresh makes! Midwest's malt extract agar plates are made with the perfect blend of agar, organic malt extract, organic locust bean gum & organic yeast extract. We add 0.01% chloramphenicol to prevent bacterial growth while stimulating the growth of mushroom mycelium. Most pre-poured agar plates sit for weeks before shipping. Each set of 5 plates are sealed in polyolefin packaging.
Features & Includes:
- 100mm Polystyrene Petri Dishes
- 5 Sterilized Malt Extract Agar plates
- Made with perfect blend of ingredients to promote healthy mycelium colonies
- Pressure sterilized & Poured in our lab using laminar flow hood
- 0.01% Chloramphenicol added to resist contamination
- Sealed in special breathable packaging to prevent moisture buildup and extend shelf life.
What is Agar? How do I use it?
Agar plates have been used for decades by mushroom growing enthusiasts and are becoming more popular again. You start by squirting a tiny amount of spore solution on the plate. Incubate for a few days and white mycelium patches begin to form. Agar lets you choose the fastest growing and most robust mycelium for use in your growing project while being able to isolate any mold without ruining your culture plate.
Isolating a culture is how the experts grow the biggest and best mushrooms, the ones you see in pictures on the many forums. After you choose your mycelium colony to use, create a still air box or use a flow hood and cut a piece of the agar out and place into a spawn bag, spawn jar or liquid culture to grow. Working with agar seems intimidating and prone to contamination but with the chloramphenicol added, the risks are much lower and easier than you can imagine!
Overall Customer Rating of 4 Reviews: